If you are planning to construct a new commercial, retail, restaurant, industrial, office, or apartment building, a permit is required. Plan reviews are conducted for these projects. All contractors working on the project must obtain a valid Village Contractor's Business License. The Village does not license roofers or plumbers as these trades are licensed by the State of Illinois. You can verify if a roofing contractor is State licensed by visiting the website of the Illinois State Department of Professional Regulations. To verify if a plumbing contractor is State licensed, please contact the Illinois Department of Public Health at 217.524.0791. If we do not have a current copy of a roofer's license or plumber's license, we will ask that they submit a copy to us prior to permit issuance.
If you have any questions regarding the permit application or process, please contact the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Current Fee* - Based on Construction Value
Effective May 1, 2019, the fees for commercial, retail, restaurant, industrial, office or apartment building new construction will be calculated based on the construction value of the project. Fees are detailed in Appendix A of the village fee schedule.
- Commercial village permit application
- Electrical permit application
- NEW! One set of architectural stamped drawings and one electronic set. The electronic set can be submitted via USB drive, CD, or document link (e-mail to email@example.com. If submittals do not adhere to the Electronic Plan Review/Permit Submittal Instructions, your submittal may be rejected.
- Title page with complete building analysis
- Building construction type/height and area calculations
- Use group/occupancy classification
- Egress calculations
- Seal and signature of the design professional
- Codes identified and noted
- Energy calculations
- COMcheck lighting only, if shell is not involved
- Complete COMcheck lighting if shell is involved
- Structural loads identified
- Structural calculations
- Accessibility details shown
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing drawings
- Interior finish schedule
- Ventilation schedule
- All hazardous systems and materials identified
- Fire suppression/detection systems identified
- A separate permit is required for all fire suppression and detection systems accompanied by drawings
- Construction fencing and tree protection fencing may be required.
- Construction and Demolition Waste Management Plan
- Required Inspections:
- Footing prepour (Important: Soils Report required)
- Rough framing, electrical, plumbing, mechanical
- Ceiling framing
- Final framing, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fire
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.