Permitting and Licensing FAQ's

The Village of Schaumburg has been closely monitoring reports and recommendations from local, state, and national health agencies regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).  With this in mind, we would like to encourage both our residential and commercial customers to utilize any of these alternate ways to obtain permits and contractor’s licenses:

  • Express Permits and contractor’s licenses via WebPay – Submit and pay for the following permits without leaving your home or office!
    • Roofing, Siding, Air Conditioner, Furnace, Water Heater, Certificate of Occupancy
    • Note:Payments must be made by credit card with a 2.25% service fee
    • Your permit card will be approved and emailed to you. Please print (preferably in color) and post in a prominent location near the entry prior to starting work.
  • Residential or Commercial Permits and Plans – submit your permit application and plans by emailing to Ideally, emailed plans should be 10MB or less.
  • Large Residential or Commercial Permits and Plans – Submittals with plans larger than 10MB can be submitted on a CD and be mailed to us at 101 Schaumburg Ct, Schaumburg, IL 60193, Attn: Permits. As an alternative, the applicant may also send an electronic link to so that we may download drawings from your cloud-based storage (ie: Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc.).
  • Please refer to our electronic submittal resource guide for additional information.
  • Permit payments can be made on our WebPay page once plans are approved. We will provide you with a fee and a code to access our Pay for a Permit WebPay page.
  • Your approved plans can be emailed to you if within the size restrictions. Otherwise, approved plans can be mailed on a CD.

As always, please feel free to contact us with additional questions at 847.923.4420.



Do general contractors and sub-contractors have to be licensed and bonded to perform work in the Village of Schaumburg?
All contractors who perform work in the Village of Schaumburg must apply for a contractor's business license and pay the appropriate annual fee (per the Village's fee schedule) prior to permit issuance. No bond or insurance is required.  Plumbing and roofing contractors are not required to be licensed with the Village, but must be licensed with the State of Illinois and a copy of their license must be submitted prior to permit issuance.

If I am planning on opening a business in Schaumburg, what must I do?
If you will be leasing a space and not making any renovations, you must apply at the Community Development Department for a New Tenant Occupancy. An inspection is scheduled for all trades (i.e., framing, electrical, plumbing and fire). Once all approvals are received a Certificate of Occupancy is issued and you may proceed to the Collections Division of the Finance Department to obtain your business license. Additional zoning approval may be required depending on the type of business.
When is a commercial permit required from the Engineering Division of the Community Development Department?

Land Development permits are issued for new construction and existing site improvements. Miscellaneous permits are issued for the following commercial/industrial projects: 

Parking lot patching or resurfacing. (A permit is not required for seal coating)
Curb and sidewalk repairs
Retaining walls
Under drains

Where do I display my "Building Permit" and for how long?

Once issued, your "Building Permit" should be displayed in a window that is visible for the inspector and should remain in place until your final inspection has been approved. Also, please remember to have the approved set of drawings, if applicable, on site during construction.


How long does plan review take for residential permits; i.e. pools, sheds, garages, etc.?

Plan review on residential permits that require submittal of your plat of survey and/or drawings generally ranges from seven (7) to ten (10) days. However, please keep in mind that our peak season begins in spring and runs through the summer. Therefore, please allow yourself enough lead time when submitting for such permits. Permits for re-roofs, siding, air-conditioners, furnaces, water heaters, etc. can be issued over the counter.

Is a building permit required to replace the windows on my home?

A building permit is not required if you are replacing the windows on your home and make no changes to the size of the opening. However, if you are changing the opening size, a permit would be required.

Is a permit required for the installation of a water heater?

Yes, a permit needs to be applied for in the Community Development Department. See the fee schedule for current permit fees. The plumbing contractor must supply the Village of Schaumburg with a copy of their State of Illinois Plumbing Contractor license. A Letter of Intent must also be submitted on the Plumbing Contractor's letterhead, listing what type of work will be done and the property address, and affixed with a notary seal or corporate stamp.

After installation, please contact the Community Development Department so an inspection can be scheduled to insure the installation was completed properly and according to code.

When is a residential permit required from the Engineering Division of the Community Development Department?
Land Development permits are issued for new construction and existing site improvements. Miscellaneous permits are issued for the following residential projects:

Underdrains and sump pump piping
Lot grading / regrading
Retaining walls
Detached garage grading

For more information on residential and commercial permits, please contact the Community Development Department at 847-923-4420 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.