Most residential building alterations, from new houses and additions to small improvements such as decks, fences, pools, etc. require a permit. Permits are required for the protection of the property owner, neighbors and village. The attached brochure highlights information and resources about permits and maintenance issues. A plan review is conducted for the permit types which are listed in the table below.
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department ata 847.923.4420.
If you have any questions regarding the permit application, process, inspections or requirements, please contact the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
- Village permit application - Residential
- Two copies of your plat of survey indicating the location of the project
- NEW! One set of architectural stamped drawings and one electronic set. The electronic set can be submitted via USB drive, CD, or document link (e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If submittals do not adhere to the Electronic Plan Review/Permit Submittal Instructions, your submittal may be rejected.
- For other requirements specific to each project, including current fees and required inspections, a resource guide is available by choosing your project in the table below.
- Contractors working on the project must have a valid Village Contractor's Business License. The Village does not license roofers or plumbers as these trades are licensed by the State of Illinois. You can verify if a roofing contractor is State licensed by visiting the website of the State of Illinois Department of Professional Regulations. To verify if a plumbing contractor is State licensed, please contact the Illinois Department of Public Health at 217.524.0791. Effective March 1, 2013, per ILCS 320/37 (from Ch. 111, par. 1135 of The Illinois Plumbing License Law), "A letter of intent shall be included with all plumbing permit applications. The letter shall be written on the licensed plumber of record's business stationery and shall include the license holder's signature and, if the license holder is incorporated, the license holder's corporate seal. If the license holder is not incorporated, the letter must be notarized." If we do not have a current copy of a roofer's license or plumber's license, we will ask that they submit a copy to us prior to permit issuance.
- If your residence is governed by a homeowner's association, you must submit a Homeowner's Association sign off for any exterior projects.
- If you plan to store any items in a Temporary Storage Unit during construction, see the link below to apply for a no-fee permit.
- If your project requires excavation, please remember to contact J.U.L.I.E. at 800.892.0123 before digging.
PROJECTS REQUIRING PERMITS