The Village of Schaumburg is celebrating National Bike Month by organizing a full month of activities for you to participate in. Whether you are a resident, student, or just work in Schaumburg, there is sure to be something for you.
Did you know May is National Bike Month and Schaumburg is the League of American Bicyclists’ first certified “Bicycle-Friendly Community” in Illinois? To celebrate National Bike Month, the Village of Schaumburg has organized the Business Bike Classic team bicycle challenge which runs from May 1 to May 31. The village encourages you to give biking a try to help preserve your health and the environment.
Business Bike Classic Details
Register Online at www.bitly.com/businessbikeclassic
Sponsors: Al Larson Prairie Center for the Arts, Bike Connection, F45 Training Schaumburg, Julianne’s Salon and Spa, Medieval Times, Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt, Schaumburg Bicycle Club, Schaumburg Park District, & Schaumburg Renaissance Convention Center Hotel
Customers who present a selfie of themselves on their bicycle to staff at participating restaurants will receive a free appetizer or entree during the week that the participating restaurant is "Restaurant of the Week".
• May 5 - May 11: Miller's Ale House, free 'Zingers' appetizer
• May 12 - May 18: Bonefish Grill, free 'Bang Bang Shrimp' appetizer
• May 19 - May 25: Riccardo's Ristorante, free appetizer. Chose from:
• Bruschetta topped with fresh tomato, garlic, parmesan cheese, & basil
• Fried Mushrooms, Onions, or Zucchini all served with a ranch dipping sauce,
• Spinach Medallions – spinach and ricotta dough rolled into medallions then deep fried and baked with a marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese on top
• May 26 - May 31: Pilot Pete's, free 'Chicken Finger' appetizer
iWalk/Bike to School Day is a specially designated day designed to encourage parents and students to walk or bike to school. On the iWalk/Bike to School Day, Village of Schaumburg and school staff hand out rewards, such as pencils, to students who participate by walking or bicycling from home to school that morning. More information on this program is available here.
Spin Classes at the Community Recreation Center
• Wednesday, May 1 from 6:00 - 7:00 am
• Thursday, May 9 from 6:00 - 7:00 pm
• Saturday, May 18 from 9:15 - 10:14 am
• Thursday, May 30 from 6:00 - 7:00 pm
Spin Classes at Schaumburg Tennis Plus (STP)
• Friday, May 24 from 11:30 am - 12:15 pm
After April 29, participants can call 847.490.7015 to reserve a spot. The classes to have limits, so it will be first-come-first-serve.
• Group Bike Rides, Riders welcome as "guest" of SBC for their first ride. Helmets are required. For subsequent rides, riders will need to join the SBC. Check www.schaumburgbicycleclub.org for updates and ride information.
• Tuesdays & Thursdays in May at 5:30 pm: Meet at Town Square in the parking lot closest to the Clock Tower.
• Saturdays in May : Time and starting points vary.
• Wednesday, May 22 at 7:00 pm: SBC Monthly Meeting at the Barn. The meeting will feature a presentation on the Fox River Trail.
• Saturday, May 4 & Sunday, May 5: Bike Connection Annual Bike Sale
• Tuesday, May 7 from 6:00 - 7:00 pm: Flat Tire Clinic, Free Hands on Class to learn how to deal with a flat tire. Limited to 10 pre-registered attendees.
• Tuesday, May 14 from 6:00 - 7:00 pm: Basic Maintenance Clinic, Free Hands On Class to learn basic bike maintenance. Limited to 10 pre-registered attendees.
• Tuesday, May 21 from 6:00 - 7:00 pm: Flat Tire Clinic, Free Hands on Class to learn how to deal with a flat tire. Limited to 10 pre-registered attendees.
• Tuesday, May 28 from 6:00 - 7:00 pm: Basic Maintenance Clinic, Free Hands On Class to learn basic bike maintenance. Limited to 10 pre-registered attendees.
• Group Bike Rides, A helmet and a functional bike are required. On site leader will provide a waiver required for the ride. Check their Facebook page or call 224.500.1046 for additional ride information and notifications.
• Saturday, May 4 & Saturday May 18 at 8:30 am: Popular Creek Bike Ride, 1-2 hour, family-friendly, casual-paced ride on paved trails. Meet at Barrington Rd Pond (west side of Barrington Rd between Golf Rd & Higgins Rd).
• Saturday, May 11 & Saturday May 25 at 8:30 am: Paul Douglas Bike Ride, 1-2 hour, family-friendly, casual-paced ride on paved trails. Meet at 1280 W Central Rd in Hoffman Estates (between Freeman Rd & Ela Rd)
• Sunday, May 5 & Sunday May 12 at 7:30 am: Popular Creek Bike Ride, 40-80 mile, training ride. This ride is designed to progressively build endurance towards a goal of 100 miles in a single ride. Meet at Barrington Rd Pond (west side of Barrington Rd between Golf Rd & Higgins Rd).
Friday, May 17 is Bike to Work Day and the village is encouraging our commuters to bike to work by hosting two Fuel Stations.
Schaumburg Metra Station - Village staff will be onsite near the bicycle lockers for the 7:02, 7:16, 7:21, 7:50 and 8:07 trains to greet bicyclists with a voucher toward a free cup of coffee and snack at Johnny’s Coffee Mart located inside the Schaumburg Metra Station. There are 24 covered bicycle racks on the Schaumburg side (north side) of the train tracks that can accommodate up to 48 bicycles and there are additional covered bicycle racks on the Roselle side (south side) of the train tracks.
Olympic Park - Schaumburg Park District staff will assist the village in passing out Dunkin' Donuts coffee and bagels to riders who participate in a ride planned from Olympic Park to the office buildings along the Martingale Road Corridor. Participants are welcome to park and leave their vehicle at Olympic Park. Staff will be onsite between 7:15 am and 8:15 am.
Translated from German to English, Fahrrad Tour von Schaumburg means Bicycle Route Tour of Schaumburg. Each year the village invites all to come celebrate Schaumburg’s heritage and extensive bike route network with a five-mile ride on off-street bike paths and on-street bike lanes. This year's event will start and end at the Robert Atcher Municipal Center grounds where lunch will be served and entertainment will be provided. This event is co-sponsored with the Schaumburg Park District.This year's event will take place on Sunday, May 19, 2019 at noon.
Below are 4 great places to bike around Schaumburg!